What if I told you that you could take a classic pineapple upside down cake and turn it into a modern, trendy, and photogenic cake masterpiece? You’re in luck! This blueberry cake recipe does just that!
This amazing flavor bomb of a blueberry cake
This is such a simple cake recipe for such an obnoxiously indulgent dessert. I know how much you love baking for the people you love. This will have no problem fitting into your rotation of breads, cookies, and cakes.
This cake has the rich fruitiness of slow-cooked blueberries, a deep tang from the balsamic glaze, and an integrity of structure to be the perfect vehicle for these flavors.
This can be topped with whipped cream, mousse, and even glaze! Personally, I chose homemade sunflower seed granola (recipe to come).
What will you need for this amazing blueberry cake recipe?
To start off, you will need some sort of muffin/cake pan, an oven, a whisk and a bowl. If you do not have a muffin tin or cake pan, do not worry!
Look around your kitchen for a thick ceramic bowl, a metal rimmed cookie tray, or even a small sauté pan.
We can get creative with this cake recipe! Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and let’s get to mixing the cake batter!
The best blueberry cake recipe
Balsamic And Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Muffin Tin or Cake Pan
Blueberry Cake Batter
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar, Granulated
- 2 Each Eggs
- 2 Cups Flour All Purpose
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Blueberries Fresh
- 2 Cups Sugar, Granulated
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Cup Blueberries Fresh
- 1. Mix together in a bowl until the sugar is saturated with the vinegar. Grease your baking dish and press an even layer of sugar mix across the bottom of the pan.
- 2. After that is finished, place an even layer of your blueberries down. Gently press them into place as if you were putting your feet in to wet sand.
Blueberry Cake Batter
- 1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until it turns from yellow to white. This is known as "creaming". Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2. Add the eggs and mix until it is almost all the way combined.
- **Chef's Tip** Do not overmix your eggs in cakes! This will cause cracking in the final product! This includes cheesecakes!
- 3. In a separate bowl, mix your flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift if you have one available. Add half of this mixture and half of the milk to the egg mixture.
- 4. Mix again until it is nearly combined and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Finish by gently folding in the blueberries.
- 5. Spoon this batter into your balsamic sugar baking dish gently. Be sure not to disturb the blueberries and the glaze.
- 6. Gently press down to flatten out the batter across the pan. Do this until it is evenly dispersed. Be sure not to pull or spread the batter with a pulling motion. This will disrupt the berries on the bottom.
- 7. Fill the baking dish 3/4 of the way full and place in your preheated oven. Rotate the pan every 5 minutes.
- 8. Depending on the size of the pan, this will be finished in 15-25 minutes. Use a cake tester or a tooth pick to poke a hole in the center. If it comes out clean, it is finished.
- 9. Once finished, cool it down on the counter top. Once it has cooled, gentle release the sides of the cakes with a butter knife.
- 10. Place a plate or tray over the top and carefully flip it over. Remove the baking dish slowly and evenly.
- 11. You should see beautiful rich and jammy looking berries in an even pattern across your cake with loads of blueberries bursting from the sides.
If you’re feeling extra saucy, bring chamomile tea up to a boil in heavy cream. Let it steep for an hour and chill.
Once chilled, add a sprinkle of salt and powder sugar. Whip this into an earthy chamomile whipped cream topping for your cake!
I think this is right up your alley and something I can see you loving to bake.
Longing for a hug,
Subscribe with your email to stay in touch with more nometry recipes! Check out our chef’s instagram here if you would like more great food ideas!
3 thoughts on “Dear Mom, Blueberries And Balsamic Belong In Cake”
This came out so beautifully, and sounds delicious!
Cheers! Thank you so much! Please let me know if you try it out ☺️☺️
Absolutely, we will!