We are all too familiar with scrolling our feeds late at night and seeing those token french macarons brightening up our screens. This easy macaron recipe will show you just how to create those delicious looking desserts!
The perfect french macarons have more than flavor and lift; They have that iconic confidence that beckons your attention.
There are a few key techniques and ingredients that you need to be able to achieve this.
This will be more than just a recipe. It is an easy macaron recipe that explains exactly what to do as if you were a professional chef!
I would like to go in depth so that whoever wants to make this can understand what is happening and why this easy macaron recipe deserves to be so coveted.
Equipment needed for this easy macaron recipe
- silpat / silicone baking mat / parchment paper
- baking tray / sheet tray
- hand mixer / kitchen aid mixer
- pastry bags / plastic ziplock bags
- candy thermometer
Easy French Macaron Recipe
- Silpat | Silicone baking mat | Parchment Paper
- Baking Tray | Sheet Tray
- Hand Mixer | Stand Mixer
- Pastry Bag | Large Ziplock Bag
- Candy Thermometer
French Macaron Cookie Shells
- 1 3/4 Cups Fine Almond Meal
- 2 Tbsp Fine Almond Meal Combine with other almond meal
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tsp Powdered Sugar Combine with other powdered sugar
- 5 Each Egg Whites
- 1 Tsp Food Flavoring or Coloring Ube extract, beet juice, anything for color or flavor
- 4 Tsp Egg White Powder
- 1 1/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
French Macaron Cookie Shells
- 1. Sift together the fine almond meal and the powdered sugar. Make sure there are no clumps. This will require your macaron shell to be rough later. Set aside.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk together half of the egg whites and the flavoring/coloring until it is completely combined. Set this aside as well.
- 3. Whip the remaining egg whites together with the egg white powder in your kitchen aid or hand mixer.
- 4. Whip this to soft peaks. It will be ready when you can pull the whip out of the egg whites and the peak of the egg white falls almost immediately.
- 5. Heat the granulated sugar in a pot with the water. This is where the candy thermometer comes in. Clip this on the side of the pot so its touching the melting sugar. Heat this to 244 degrees F and immediately slowly pour it into the soft peaked egg whites while mixing on high.
- 6. Continue mixing until the whites until they are cooled down to 120 degrees F.
- 7. Fold the colored/flavored egg whites into the almond meal and powdered sugar until they are combined.
- 8. As soon as you are finished, fold a third of that mixture into the whipped egg whites to loosen it up. Following that, combine the rest of the almond meal mixture.
- 9. Continue to work this by pressing it in into the side of the bowl. Spin the bowl and repeat.
- 10. Do this until it starts to get glossy. This will release the air bubbles. Transfer to a pastry bag when finished.
- 11. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silpat. Cut a pea-sized tip off of the pastry bag and pipe 1-inch circles.
- 12. Make sure to space them out. Tap the pan on the table to release any excess air bubbles and let sit for 45 minutes, uncovered, at room temperature.
- 13. This will form an important skin and help create a smooth surface. It will also help with lift on the macaron shells.
- 14. While waiting, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Bake the shells for 14 minutes, while rotating 180 degrees at the 7 minute mark.
- **Chef's Tip** This promotes even baking and should be done with anything that goes in the oven!
- 15. Once finished and cooled, match equal sized shells with each other. Reserve these in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze overnight.
- 16. This can be filled with everything from ganache to ice cream. Have fun with it and try to create some beautiful flavor combinations!
Easy Macaron Recipe Filling
You can fill these delicious macarons with almost anything! Think of a flavor combination and create it! Here are a few ideas: Peanut butter, buttercream or store-bought frosting, ice cream, chocolate mousse, lemon curd, blueberry jam, melted chocolate or nutella, or anything else you can think of!
Macaron Ingredient Sources
Here are a few links to check current pricing on these harder to find ingredients!
Have over friends for a dessert party and impress them with this french macarons recipe. Be adventurous and pair it with our nometry churros! If you are feeling extra generous please like, comment, and share with your friends and family on your social media! We are constantly growing the community and any exposure helps! Thank you so much.